DON’T MESS WITH TEXAS® LICENSE PROPOSAL INFORMATION
The Don’t Mess with Texas slogan is a trademark held by the Texas Department of Transportation. The use or sale of unlicensed items bearing the phrase Don’t mess with Texas is a violation of U.S. Trademark Registration No. 3872108 DON’T MESS WITH TEXAS (6202-03800). The addition of any words of phrases instead of or in addition to the word “Texas” in the trademarked slogan is also a violation of federal trademark law, for example: “Don’t mess with Texas Women” or “Don’t mess with Lorem.”
If you would like to obtain a license for the legal use of the Don’t mess with Texas (DMWT) registered mark, please review the following information before submitting a request. The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) receives many requests for permission to use the Don’t mess with Texas mark. Any and all uses of the mark must be approved by TxDOT.
To see a full list of our approved licensees,.
- AIM – Albert Elowitz, Inc.
- Evergreen Enterprises
- JGR Copa, LLC
- Kitty Keller Designs
- Los Angeles Pop Art, LLC
- Mentoring Minds
- Pro Distributing
- Rein Designs
- River Road Clothing Co.
- Rockpoint Apparel
- South Austin Gallery
- Smith Southwestern
- Texas Products, LLC
- Texas State Optical
- The Charitable Mint
- The Postcard Factory
- Tumbleweed TextStyles
- Tyler Treasures
- W.W. Norton & Co.
WHO APPROVES REQUESTS TO LICENSE THE DMWT MARK?
TxDOT staff members who coordinate the Don’t mess with Texas program process and administer all requests for approving or denying such requests. TxDOT has the legal right and obligation to protect the mark and ensure its proper use, and in doing so has the sole discretion to approve or deny any license request.
WHAT ARE THE GUIDELINES FOR DEVELOPING A PROPOSAL?
- Proposed products should be in good taste and include some clear connection to the litter prevention message, either through communication provided to the consumer or the purpose of the product itself. Example photos, sketches, and product samples will be required.
- The proposed product should not contribute to the litter problem through excess or unnecessary packaging.
- The proposed product should not conflict with other messages promoted by TxDOT, including safe driving. For example, product proposals related to alcoholic beverages are not likely to be approved.
- The proposed use of the mark will adhere to all Don’t mess with Texas brand parameters as provided by TxDOT. All products bearing the Don’t mess with Texas mark must be licensed and approved by TxDOT.
WHAT COSTS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH OBTAINING A LICENSE?
- If TxDOT chooses to enter into a license agreement, costs, including license fees and royalties will be determined upon execution of a license agreement.
- A proposed requestor must fill out and submit the License Request on the bottom of this page. If a requester cannot submit electronically, the requester can print the Usage Request form and mail to:
Texas Department of Transportation
Travel Information Division
Attn: Becky Ozuna
200 E. Riverside Drive
Austin, TX 78704
email: Becky Ozuna